Sunday, October 27, 2013

Tribute to my Little Sister

One of the most powerful moments in my relationship with my sister Haley was right before I left for Olivet.  The two of us were sitting in the scrapbook room and she says, "Cana, I have something that I need to tell you."

My family isn't always the best at being sentimental or admitting things to each other without being awkward, so in order to picture this scene, picture me sitting on a stool looking down, and Haley across from my spinning on an office chair.

Anyway, I look up at her and say, "What is it?".  She then looks at me and then abashedly says, "I forgive you".

That moment was very powerful, for more than just one reason.  Not only was it powerful because the concept of forgiveness is powerful, but it helped me realize how much a mistake I had made impacted my little sister.

It also helped me realize how much I long to be a good role model for my sister! I have made my fair share of mistakes yet she is willing to forgive me and look up to me still! How awesome is that!

I want to be someone that my sister can look up to and not only learn from my mistakes, but also learn from the things that I do right.  I've been realizing more and more how much everything I do can affect my family in some way.

I am SO proud of her, and the young woman she has become.  I can see evidence of her growing in her faith and in maturity whenever I am able to talk to her.  She is very smart and has an extremely bright future!  Also, she is incredibly beautiful inside and out.

I know this is the 'typical' verse that women use to encourage each other, but I still want to encourage Haley with this verse.

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment such as braided hair and wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.  For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful."

1 Peter 3:3-5

I love you Haley!

No comments:

Post a Comment