Saturday, October 19, 2013

Interesting Night

A few weeks ago I signed up to be a part of a ministry called Youth for Christ.  Youth for Christ is a mentorship program that they offer in the Kankakee Junior High, where kids can sign up for a mentor.  As a mentor, I will be going into the Junior High once a week to meet with my mentee and talk to her.  Although we cannot directly bring up and share Christ while we are at the school, we are able to invite them to events outside of the school where we can share Christ with them.

Tonight was supposed to be the night in which I met my mentee at an event at Perry Farm.  However, only about 4 of the students showed up to the event out of about 40.  My mentee didn't show up, so I was a bit bummed, but the night turned out to be an interesting experience.

The event was a parent and student dinner so the Youth for Christ center had a whole bunch of food left over. Because we did not want this food to go to waste, we went out into the streets and asked people if they wanted any of it.  A few people came into the center to grab a free meal, but we still had a bunch of food left.  So, we decided to make up plates of food and drive to a place in Kankakee that is known to have a lot of people around that need food.  We were able to get rid of all of the food by going into a bar.  Like I said, it was an interesting experience.

Anyway, I just think it's cool that although the ministry we had planned to do didn't work out, we were still able to use what we had to go and minister to people.  It was so great to see people switch gears and go out and do something that they would have never expected to do tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment